Haha, well I'm all moved in, but do not yet have my fridge (so i guess not all moved in...) so I am trying to refrain from grocery shopping till the fridge is here (tomorrow, hopefully)... But leading up to Vegan MoFo, I need to get in the habit of posting regularly, so a gloriously pointless post!
Well I did cook some oatmeal for breakfast, so I can post about that.
I love oatmeal. I have it for breakfast nearly every day. It's fast, it's easy, there are nearly infinite possibilities for variations, and it's filling enough to tide me over for a while.
And it's one of the only foods I have in the dorm currently...
I made it this morning before realizing that I have no spoons... So I ate it with chopsticks! (which worked ok, actually...)
But anyway, in an attempt to make this post useful, I'd like to share my basic oatmeal method, and my favorite add-ins...
For one serving: put a generous 1/2c old fashioned oats in a microwaveable bowl, add a scant 1 cup of water. Stick it in the micro and zap it for 2+1/2 minutes. Stir it, stir in the add ins, and let it cool enough that you can eat it without burning yourself.... Yeah, I know, this is essentially the method detailed on the oatmeal box, but nonetheless...
Now, I do occasionally enjoy some plain old oatmeal but normally i like to add stuff. Here are some of my favorite stir-ins:
- frozen mixed berries (i had blackberries, raspberries and blueberries, i think)(sorry didnt measure, probably 1/4 to 1/2 c or so?) + a tablespoon or so of pure maple syrup (if your berries were, like mine, a tad bit on the tart side. I also often omit the syrup) + walnuts(sometimes)
- nuts (to be added individually, in combination with each other, or in combination with another add in, i.e. berries and walnuts...): walnuts, almonds, pecans, etc. etc. (and yeah, i will mention specific nuts with other things too)
- raisins and cinnamon (cinnamon-sugar if you want it sweeter, i've done both), stir in the raisins right away after pulling out of micro, and let it sit for a while so the raisins can rehydrate. also can add the raisins before zapping for the same reasons...
- bananas and almonds (maybe a little cinnamon too?)
- spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves; anything that seems like it should be in a pumpkin pie. Add some of each, and maybe a sweetener of your choice ( i tend to omit the sweetener when i do this, but i can definitely see where one would like to have it sweeter...)
- maple syrup+walnuts
- peanut butter
- craisins (see note on raisins; add right after zapping and let sit so they can get plump and juicy)
- sliced apples, with cinnamon and optionally a little sweetener if your apples are not particularly sweet... Note: if you do this, stir in the apples and stuff before microwaving; this will cook the apples and make them all nummy. You might have to cook a little longer, i.e. 3 minutes instead of 2+1/2...
- any other fruits, nuts, spices, or anything else you can imagine!!! Let me know if you come across anything particularly good!
P.S. Super Duper Bonus points if you can identify the source of the title of this post (approximately; to be fair the original line is "i think this line's mostly filler...")
- Current Location:dorm
- Current Music:see http://last.fm/user/secretspicy15